About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Saturday 25 April 2015

Danish Breakfast Dark Bread

I am used to eating dark bread growing up in Norway. Of course I like good French "tradition" baguette made with levain too now that I live in Paris, but sometimes I miss good dark Danish bread, which is a healthier and more filling version.

In Paris I haven't found good dark bread, only light and airy even though the colour is dark, which is not the same. So the best thing is to make my own. You'll need dark flour, sourdough (gives better taste and texture), little fresh yeast, salt, water and grains or seeds for topping.

Recipe (16 small, or 10 bigger squares)
200 gr T150 - coarse dark flour / wholemeal
250 gr T110 - dark wholemeal
50 gr T80 - regular flour
Basically 500 gr organic bread wholemeal flour, the darker the better
7gr-10gr salt
100g levain sourdough - optional, but levain gives better taste and texture
5gr fresh yeast or 1/3tsp dry yeast - optional if you use sourdough
350gr cold water
100g-150g pumpkin or other seeds

Rising: 8hrs or longer at room temp overnight
Kneading time: 8min. No kneading also possible, but it will taste a bit denier
Baking Steel or pizza stone preheated at 250c 
Baking time: 8-10min for small (12 min for bigger squares)
bread basket full of fibres
different flour types found in Naturalia (a small organic grocery chain in France)
moist thanks to kneading and sourdough
squares ready for rising 2nd time (45-60 min) 
brush with water and add toppings
divide in smaller units
fold over once
press into a rectangle
dough fermented overnight at room temperature
after kneading, cover with kitchen towel and let rise overnight
seeds and grains I used as toppings

No comments:

Post a Comment