About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Sunday 4 May 2014

Nutty macaroons a la Maison Emil

Was chatting with my friend Laurence, who mentioned about how much she loved the Italian amoretti morbidi (soft and chewy almond biscuits). I love them too, but I prefer them a bit coarse. And since I also like hazelnut, I add both hazelnut and almond powder in my mixture. I cannot call these Amoretti morbidi as I did not add any Amoretto liquor :)
Nutty macaroons a la Maison Emil
Never understood the buzz around the French macarons (which is different from these macaroons). Sure the French macarons are pretty, colourful, and tasty with various types of filling, but they are way too sweet. These nutty macaroons a la Maison are crispy outside and soft inside, and gluten free too. Perfect for my high tea guests :)

Crispy outside and soft inside and gluten free
Ingredients (15 big macaroons)
- 3 egg whites -> slightly whisked until foamy
- 100 g ground hazelnut (with skin)
- 100 g ground almond (no skin)
- 100 g icing sugar - sifted (150-175g if you prefer sweeter macaroons)
- Additional icing sugar (25g) for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate powder - gives a nice smell, but does not take away the nutty flavour. Alternatively, you can add 1 tablespoon of Amoretto liquor
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch if dry vanilla seed in powder (optional)


Tools:
Baking tray, parchment paper, whisk, tea spoons, plastic film


Method
1. Add all dry ingredients to the egg white mixture. Combine quickly. Do not overmix. 
For chewy macaroons, cover with a plastic film and let rest in the fridge overnight. 
For quick version, let the mixture (covered with film) rest 15-20 minutes in the fridge.


Natural and quick version to form macaroon balls (sticky mixture, so work fast)
2. Take one full teaspoon of mixture and drop it on a plate of icing sugar with the other teaspoon, roll quickly to cover it with icing sugar and transfer it on a baking tray.
Of course you can make pretty and snobbish macaroons with a piping bag, but the mixture is sticky, so I recommend using two teaspoons :) This method gives a more organic and artisanal look - haha :)

3. Let the mixture sit and dry in room temperature for 30 min.

4. Turn on the oven, 200 degrees Celcius.

5. Bake the macaroons for 7 mins. (I use fan in my oven, but oven performance varies, so pay attention). 
Don't overbake else the inside will dry. These are not the crispy and dry Amoretti biscuits, but a soft version :)

6. Let these cool on a grill.

Happy baking,

Maison Emil Paris :)
Egg whites, icing sugar, chocolate powder, hazelnut and almond powder
Mix quickly
Macaroons ready for resting 30 min
Happy tasting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment