About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Thursday 13 February 2014

It's all in the stock

It's back to basic. Learning how to make a good stock is paramount in French cuisine. Maison Emil knows that it takes time to make a good stock, but not this long time and with so many ingredients.

Veal bones, meat, stock veggies (turnip, carrot, celery, onion), bouquet garni, removal of impurities floating on top, long simmering time, temperate control, heavy lifting (10L cobber pot) and storage are only some important inputs to make a good stock :)
To be honest, I am pretty sure that most restaurants have stock cubes in the kitchen ready for use :)

From stock to consommé
We learned how to make consommé (clear soup/broth) following old French method, such as clarification process with eggwhites and a well in the stock to let the steam out, and the end result is a very clear broth (or consommé). A consommé is served with garnish (garniture) such as turnip (navet in French), carrots, green peas and green beans cut in brunoise style (5mm x 5mm cubes).

So much work for a bit of clear broth. Our chef explained that not many modern cuisines serve consommé the traditional way - restaurants serving modern cuisine would add agar-agar or gelatine and serve the consommé cold. Chef's sample with agar agar.
Maison Emil likes the technique of letting the stock bake in the oven over night :)

Happy learning every day, but having now sore wrist from heavy lifting :(
Maison Emil Paris - MEP

No comments:

Post a Comment