About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Saturday 5 April 2014

Caneles from Bordeaux


A local speciality from Bordeaux, these little tea or coffee bites are crispy outside and soft inside are gaining popularity. Originally baked in the cobber moulds with bee wax, I am not sure how many people are still following this old method. These days most people including me use silicon caneles mould, which comes in small (coffee bites), medium (my preferred size), large and extra large sizes. The batter is best made the day in advance.

Caneles recipe (about 40 medium size)

1 Liter milk
100 gr butter
1 - vanilla pod seeds
450 gr sugar
200 gr all-purpose flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon salt
3 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
Rhum - optional (day 2)

Tools:
Caneles mould
Caneles mould, batter, butter
Day 1 - The batter
1. Bring the milk, butter and vanilla seeds to a boil. Set aside until luke warm (38-40 degrees C).
2. Stir manually sugar, salt, and flour.
3. Make a fountain and add the eggs. Stir gently. We don't want air in the batter, so do not use electric whisk.
4. Add half of the milk in the flour and stir.
5. Add the remaining milk and stir until the solution dissolved. You should now have a batter that is a bit similar to the crepe batter.
6. Cover with foil and rest overnight in room temp.

Day 2 
1. Stir gently as the solid has fallen at the bottom overnight.
2. Add rhum and stir
3. Grease the caneles silicon mould with melted butter
4. Put on the oven to 225 C degrees
5. Fill the mould 3/4 as the batter will puff
5. Bake the caneles at high temperature for 10 min
6. Reduce the temperature to 180 C degrees and bake another 50 min until dark brown.
7. Unmold and keep uncovered in room temperature. Don't put in the fridge as humidity will make it less crispy.

Happy baking,

Maison Emil Paris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment