About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Friday 18 April 2014

Poultry 101 basics

Fish 101 basics training week is now over. We have learned to cook many traditional French fish dishes such as poached, grilled, smoked, and raw (tartar).

We are now moving to the next learning theme: poultry 101 basics :)

Chicken fricasse cooked in class 
If you have never cleaned a chicken from scratch (ok, not the killing part), it can be a quite "disgusting" experience. When I was a child, we had a tiny "farm" with some free range hens and pigs in Vietnam. When it was slaughtering day (on very rare occasions), my job was to catch the hen so that my mum could gut and then pluck the feathers. I witnessed this only once. Nowadays we buy ready cut filets, or whole chicken, but then it's ready emptied inside. However it's part of any chef's job to know how to do things from scratch, so here we go.

Chicken lesson
Bad parts in the garbage
Inside parts
We always end up with 2 legs and 2 breasts, and the carcasse, which is used for making stock. Chicken stock is an important base for many tasty sauces, such as the sauce in this chicken fricasse dish, a very traditional French dish.

Techniques learned and applied:
Glacer a blanc - cooking vegetables in butter, water, sugar and salt over low heat covered with parchment paper) 
Roux - chicken sautéed with butter and flour, and stock added, which thickened the sauce

It's been a tiring week, and I am so ready for Spring break which starts now - yay :) 

Happy Easter,

Maison Emil Paris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment