About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Friday 4 April 2014

Regional Cuisine - Alsace

Alsace has an interesting food history as this region was under German rule, then French, then taken back to Germany and now it's French. Strasbourg is its capital and is seat of many international organisations and bodies. It's where France and Germany collide, and obviously Alsatian cuisine has flavours from both France and Germany.
Strasbourg - capital of Alsace
You may have tasted Riesling white wine, eaten tarte flambee or sauerkraut (or choucroute in French?) Well, we have just cooked all these Alsatian specialities :)

Alsace regional menu:
Amuse bouche - tarte flambee (fromage blanc, onion, bacon), aka Flammkuchen
Starter - foie gras, apple puree in honey truffle oil, green apple, feta
Fish - sauerkraut with pike, dill beurre blanc sauce
Meat - roasted pigeon
Dessert - chocolate fondant, fromage blanc sorbet, kugelhopf

Tarte flambee - Flammkuchen 
Foie gras, apple puree with truffle and honey
Fois gras preparation - seared and pressed
Choucroute (sauerkraut) with fish (pike-perche), dill sauce, pumpkin puree
Pigeon, rosti potatoes, almond cream, pigeon jus
Chocolate fondant, fromage blanc sorbet (yogurt) 
Really fondant :)
Kogelhopf - hybrid brioche-marble cake from Alsace
The dishes were of course paired with wonderful Alsace white and red (both served chilled).

If you don't like Alsace wine, no worries. Alsace beer is nice, label "1664" by Kronenbourg, is probably the most consumed beer in France. A personal favourite is the white 1664 :)
My tummy is so happy after this tasting.

Happy weekend,

Maison Emil :)

No comments:

Post a Comment