About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Saturday 1 March 2014

Bagels

Some classmates from the US claim that the bagels sold in Paris are no good. I didn't realise this as I never buy bagels here, it's pain au chocolat, tradition baguette and/or croissants or a combination thereof when I go to the bakeries. Last time I ate bagels was in 2009 when we lived in Perth, Western Australia and the bagels there were good.
Bagel with Philadelphia cheese
Basic bagel recipe
500gr all purpose flour
200gr milk
100gr water
5-7gr salt
25 gr fresh yeast
25gr butter

Maison Emil's modified bagel recipe - approx 8-10 bagels
400gr all purpose flour
100gr wholemeal flour
50gr buckwheat flour - nice flavour
10g salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dry yeast (*) - or 25gr fresh yeast (**)
50gr butter
2dl or 200gr milk - luke warm (*) - COLD if overnight fermentation (**)
1dl or 100gr water - luke warm (*) - COLD if overnight fermentation (**)
1 eggwhite - slightly beaten
1 egg yolk - for eggwash
10gr baking soda diluted in 200 gr water - dipping solution before boiling

Tools:
Mixer with dough hook, baking tray, parchment paper, pot for cooking the bagels

(*) Method A - overnight fermentation (slow rise)
1. Mix all ingredients and knead for 10 min
2. Rise at room temp for 1 hour
3. Punch out air
4. Wrap and rest in the fridge overnight
Next day
5. Take out the dough and let rest in the room for 30 min
6. Divide in 8-10 dough balls
7. Poke a hole in the middle of the ball with 2 fingers and spin until the hole is approx 4 cm wide in diameter
8. Rest on baking paper with cover for approx 90 min (double in size)
9. Pre-heat the oven at 220 C degrees 30 min before baking
10. Bring water to a boil, dip the bagel in the baking soda solution and boil 10-15sec on each side
11. Drain and put back on the baking tray
12. Wash with egg wash
13. Add your favourite seeds, salt, or keep natural with nothing but egg wash on
14. Bake in the middle of the oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown (oven performance varies, so pay attention)

(**) Method B - fresh yeast
Same as above, but you skip step 4 & 5. Your liquid should be luke warm for a faster rise.

8-10 equal parts
The holes will shrink
Cook the bagels before baking 
Perfect for Sunday breakfast or brunch - overnight fermented dough

Bon appétit,

Maison Emil Paris :)


No comments:

Post a Comment