About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Asian honey glaced porc belly roast



Honey glaced crispy porc belly
Norwegian crispy porc belly (look up "juleribbe" on Google) is typically served at Christmas, and the Asian version is a bit different from the Norwegian version and served year-round. So what prompted me to make my own version of crispy roast porc belly? I was simply craving for some crispy porc, which I could not find easily in Paris :)

With the tomato vinegar reduction (see dipping sauce for my samosa recipe), the crispy porc can be served as snack. And with some sauteed vegetables, such as carrot and green beans, you'll have a nice lunch dish.

Recipe for 4:
1 kg thin porc with skin
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp fresh ginger - grated
1 clove garlic - crushed
1 tsp pepper

Marinade for brushing
2 tablespoons butter
2 tblsp honey
1 tblsp soy sauce

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180c degrees
2. Cut squares (1x1 cm) on the skin (easier to cut if the meat is a bit frozen)
3. Make a few long cuts on the meat side and rub with salt, pepper, ginger and garlic.
4. Add a bit of water on a roast pan and put the meat with the skin down
5. Roast for 20min at the lowest section of the oven
6. Meanwhile prepare the marinate by melting butter, then add honey and soy sauce.
7. Flip the meat around (skin side now up) and brush the skin with the marinade
8. Roast for another 20 min and brush with the marinade again. Brush with the juice from meat in the roast pan once you run out of marinade. There should be a bit if water in the pan at whole time.
9. After 90 min, increase the heat to 220c and move the meat higher up
10. The skin should now puff - do not open the oven
11. Once the skin is puffed, take the meat out and let it rest before carving


My 4 year old son loved this dish
Like this recipe? Please donate to Cycle4Girls Vietnam project :) 

Enjoy,
Maison Emil Paris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment