About Me

My photo
Many things (both good and less good) have happened in my life lately, so in November 2013 I decided to take a break from the "Corporate world" to sort out my life situation. One of many things that I decided to do was to learn more about cooking, because food has always been a passion of mine. From my native Vietnam to my home country Norway, my life journey has taken me to many beautiful countries such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Malaysia, where I truly got exposed to the food culture, which may reflect in my home-cooked dishes. With this site, I hope to inspire and encourage you to take a break (short, long, or very long - you decide) and do what you love doing but that you haven't set a date for. Just do it, make it happen :) Kort oppsummert: Norsk-Vietnameser i Paris pa jakt etter mening med livet...

Saturday 25 October 2014

Razor clams as snack

Razor clams snack
In Vietnam, we eat so many types of shells and clams, but I only got to know about razor clams in France. Fascinating creatures and tasty too :)

The video below is excellent for those who have never seen a razor clam before to see how people catch them.

Below is my recipe with razor clams as snack on a lazy Saturday afternoon, Vietnamese style:
Ingredients (2-3 snack portions - ha, I ate the whole thing all by myself as it was so tasty):
  • Approx. 700-800 gr razor clams 
  • 4-5 chorizo slices (optional)
  • 0,5 - 1tblspoon nuoc mam (fishsauce) - some people prefere natural taste and don't want to add any salt
  • 1 tbl sp butter (or 15gr)
  • 1 tbl sp oil
  • 1 small shallot chipped
  • 1 garlic clove crushed
  • White wine for steaming (optional) - fully possible to steam with only water
  • Pepper
  • Coriander/cilantro
  • Piment d'espelette (optional)

1. The clams are full of sand, so soak them in cold water for min 30 min.
razor clams
2. Steam the clams in a bit of water and white wine (optional) until they open so that you can easily remove the meat out of the shells. Do not oversteam.

3. Plunge the clams in cold water to stop cooking. Overcooked and they will taste like rubber :)

4. Remove the gild and dirt, and keep only the white part
I only use the white part but many people fry the whole clam (no steaming)
5. Split in half to discard any excess sand and put aside (keep cold if not cooking right away)
6. Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tblsp oil
7. Add 1 chopped shallot and 1 clove of crushed garlic over medium heat
8. Add the clams and increase to high heat and stir for 1 min
9. Season with 1 tblspoon nuoc mam (Viet fish sauce), pepper, 2 tblsp of white wine
10. Garnish with chopped coriander and piment d'espelette and served immediately

Bon appétit,
My Saturday snack
Like this recipe? Please donate to Cycle4Girls Vietnam project :)

How To Catch And Cook Razor Clams.Seashore To Pla…: http://youtu.be/P1a-hJhyZ8w

No comments:

Post a Comment